ICELAND. Why no news from Iceland? How come we hear everything about the need for “Austerity” in Greece, Spain, Portugal but no news about what’s happening in Iceland?
In Iceland, the people has made the government resign, the primary banks have been nationalized, it was decided to not pay the debt that these created with Great Britain and Holland due to their bad financial politics and a public assembly has been created to rewrite the constitution.
And all of this in a peaceful way. A whole revolution against the powers that have created the current global crisis. This is why there hasn’t been any publicity during the last two years: What would happen if the rest of the EU citizens took this as an example? What would happen if the US citizens took this as an example.
This is a summary of the facts:
2008. The main bank of the country is nationalized.
The Krona, the currency of Iceland devaluates and the stock market stops. The country is in bankruptcy
2008. The citizens protest in front of parliament and manage to get new elections that make the resignation of the prime minister and his whole government.
The country is in bad economic situation.
A law proposes paying back the debt to Great Britain and Holland through the payment of 3,500 million euros, which will be paid by the people of Iceland monthly during the next 15 years, with a 5.5% interest.
2010. The people go out in the streets and demand a referendum. In January 2010 the president denies the approval and announces a popular meeting.
In March the referendum and the denial of payment is voted in by 93%. Meanwhile the government has initiated an investigation to bring to justice those responsible for the crisis, and many high level executives and bankers are arrested. The Interpol dictates an order that make all the implicated parties leave the country.
In this crisis an assembly is elected to rewrite a new Constitution which can include the lessons learned from this, and which will substitute the current one (a copy of the Danish Constitution).
25 citizens are chosen, with no political affiliation, out of the 522 candidates. For candidacy all that was needed was to be an adult and have the support of 30 people. The constitutional assembly starts in February of 2011 to present the ‘carta magna’ from the recommendations given by the different assemblies happening throughout the country. It must be approved by the current Parliament and by the one constituted through the next legislative elections.
So in summary of the Icelandic revolution:
-resignation of the whole government
-nationalization of the bank.
-referendum so that the people can decide over the economic decisions.
-incarcerating the responsible parties
-rewriting of the constitution by its people
Have we been informed of this through the media?
Has any political program in radio or TV commented on this?
No! The Icelandic people have been able to show that there is a way to beat the system and has given a democracy lesson to the world
And moving to Iceland.
My friend and her family are there now for a week. I want to ask her if she was able to glean any of this while there, although she probably was spending time touring. Still, I find this extremely interesting. Extremely.
- quetengasunbuendia likes this
- skidmarks likes this
- branstark likes this
- oldstardustings likes this
- courais reblogged this from dollyfin
- obscureferences likes this
- comfortkeepsusnice reblogged this from tw6w
- dollyfin reblogged this from tw6w
- comfortkeepsusnice likes this
- tw6w reblogged this from tindink
- bliss-street reblogged this from mutualassureddistraction
- madame-chatie likes this
- mutualassureddistraction reblogged this from atomiccuttlefish
- michaelgenetodd likes this
- jadis17 reblogged this from tindink
- ingythings reblogged this from redcloud
- xntrek likes this
- adialogue likes this
- ybb55 likes this
- girl11eleven likes this
- naosouhipster likes this
- redjeep likes this
- sitasays likes this
- zengiraffe likes this
- cpsu likes this
- mutualassureddistraction likes this
- perscientiamlibertas likes this
- cloggo likes this
- atomiccuttlefish reblogged this from newmilitant
- stumblers2tumblrs reblogged this from tindink
- serina likes this
- tindink reblogged this from mathcat345
- tindink likes this
- newmilitant reblogged this from lu92
- kimplasters likes this
- davesnothere likes this
- mathcat345 reblogged this from felistella and added:
- mathcat345 likes this
- knowledgesponge likes this
- schmittlesandvittles reblogged this from redcloud
- aberrantlife reblogged this from felistella
- aberrantlife likes this
- nicky36 likes this
- shaneguiter likes this
- yassanova reblogged this from sosungalittleclodofclay
- mattdoucette likes this
- melancholyprostate reblogged this from anne-frank-was-a-babe
- mightequinn likes this
- catty1 likes this
- ashamedtosay likes this